Friday, February 6, 2009

a poem

for the last couple days i've had a few words stuck in my head... it started off with just the words dregs and wormwood and i knew it was from a poem. i began to remember a few more words here and there like fount, perpetual, spring. so i put the words i could remember into google and viola! there it was! it's called childe harold's pilgrimage by george byron. it was a portion of this poem that dorothy and i memorized while eating cocoa popcorn in arkansas four years ago. i love remembering moments like this. everything about that night became so vivid after reading that poem. the way the room looked, the slight chill in the air, hawthorne curled up in my lap and the comforting scent of the house. it's moments like that one that make me realize there's a part of me that never left arkansas although so much has changed in the past four years. if i could i'd fly out this weekend. anyway, here's the portion of the poem:

His had been quaffed too quickly, and he found
The dregs were wormwood; but he filled again,
And from a purer fount, on holier ground,
And deemed its spring perpetual; but in vain!
Still round him clung invisibly a chain
Which galled for ever, fettering though unseen,
And heavy though it clanked not; worn with pain,
Which pined although it spoke not, and grew keen,
Entering with every step he took through many a scene.

---------------------------------------------------

in other news, i'm thinking of turning this blog into a photo journal. now that i have a laptop (yay!) i'll have a way to organize and photoshop (yay!) my pictures the way i used to. might be fun. but if it does happen it'll probably be another week or so because i have a few business cards and postcards to finish.

2 comments:

Lopez said...

I love you sister!

Dorothy said...

I totally remember this moment, too. It's funny how that seems like a lifetime ago, but at the same time, so near. Remember when you taught me how to correctly pronounce "indict." Funny. You were such a great helper when it came to my schoolwork...

Remember yoga-then-dinner nights with Megan? I think those are some of my best moment memories.

I sure wish you could be here right this second.

Maybe you really could come visit soon. We're installing a wood stove in our living room. It's pretty exciting.

I miss you so much.